Friday, February 26, 2010

White Lines and The Fever



"...This is a revolution sureshot!"

If you'll be in Texas for the SXSW film fest March 13th -20th be sure to check out "White Lines and The Fever". This film is based off of my 2005 article "When the Fever was the Mecca."

We filmed this last October at the Salud Club in Yonkers, NY. Club Salud is owned by Sal Abbatiello, the previous owner of the South Bronx club The Fever.

Appearing in this film are Kurtis Blow, DJ Hollywood, Sweet Gee and Disco Bee. It's directed by Travis Senger and produced by Michael Mouncer.

Anyway, The Fever, as Sal likes to say, is the last great story about that bygone era.

Check it out and lemme know what you think.

2 comments:

Chinita said...

It's a shame that Junebug's family was not included in this documentary. He was more than just an amazing DJ. He was an amazing person who is truly missed by his family. There never was nor will there ever be another one like him!! May he always RIP.

Mark Skillz said...

Chinita,

Judging by your message you undoubtedly are related to Junebug. As the writer of this documentary and the original story, Chinita, I know you don't know me, and have no reason to believe me, but please believe me when I tell you that I tried very hard to find Junebug's family.

The thing that prevented us from including his family, is that we had no way to find you all. Chinita, I was told Junebug's name was Jose Almeda, I have searched NYC death records as well as I have searched whitepages dot com and anywho dot com in hopes of finding anyone that is related to him.

I have spent weeks calling Almeda's in the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island. And here's what I've said on the phone: "Hello ma'am, ummmm I'm sorry to disturb you but I'm looking for the family of Jose Almeda, he passed twenty six years ago. Would you happen to be related to him?"

None of them were. Though I got one interesting response, "Who was he?" One person asked me. I said, "Ma'am, he was a very popular deejay in New York in the late 70's and early 80's."

The person asked me, "Did he have any money?"

I told them that I had no idea, and they hung up.

Anyway, if you are related to Junebug or know his family, you can contact me at: mark.skillz@gmail.com